10 Interesting Cat Facts September 19 2017
1. Cats make approximately 100 different sounds. Dogs only make about 10.
2. Cats are North America’s most popular pets: there are around 73 million cats compared to 63 million dogs. Over 30% of households in North America own a cat.
3. A cat will rub against a human not only to be affectionate but also to mark its territory with scent glands around its face. The tail area and paws also carry a cat’s scent.
4. On average, cats spend 2/3 of every day sleeping. That means a nine-year-old cat has been awake for only three years of its life.
5. Female cats tend to be right pawed, while male cats are more often left pawed. Interestingly, while 90% of humans are right handed, the remaining 10% of lefties also tend to be male.
6. Approximately 1/3 of cat owners think their pets are able to read their minds.
7. A cat’s nose pad is ridged with a unique pattern, just like the fingerprint of a human.
8. Cats don’t have sweat glands over their bodies like humans do. Instead, they sweat only through their paws.
9. A cat’s brain is biologically more similar to a human brain than it is to a dog’s. Both humans and cats have identical regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions.
10. A cat can’t climb head first down a tree because every claw on a cat’s paw points the same way. To get down from a tree, a cat must back down.